I have a really hard time finding actual healthy soup at the grocery store. Just when I thought I found one, I turn it over and look at the nutrition label. Awww cute… theres close to 1000 mg of sodium in this can. The FDA recommended sodium intake is 2,300 mg of sodium per day…so basically if you eat that can of soup there goes half your recommended sodium for the day. EW…the thought of that.
There’s seriously nothing like warm, hearty soup on a freezing winter day. This bowl is AMMMMAAZZINGG. It’s packed full of vitamins (YAS) and minerals (double YAS) to help fight off any illnesses that you’re bound to encounter during this time of year.
Alright… lets get down to business. What the hell is in this bad boy? Why is it soooo good for you… and so delicious?
Butternut squash is loaded in vitamins A and C, fiber and carotenes. Find more benefits here.
I think we all know that Kale is “healthy”, but do you really know why? According webbed.com, in one cup of kale there is 3 grams of protein, vitamins A, C and K, its loaded with folate (helps brain development), && full of minerals including phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and zinc.
FIBER. Lots of it. Twice the amount found in quinoa and three times the amount found in rice. AKA a healthy digestive system, you will be fuller for longer and hellloooo fat loss.
(At first I was freaked out about it being canned, but hear me out!)
Canned tomatos as opposed to fresh have a nutrient called lycopene. An antioxidant shown to lower the risk of heart disease, prostate cancer and macular degeneration. (WEIRD!) Read all about it here.
The recipe is SO simple for all my beginner babes in the kitchen. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup farro or white beans
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash cubes
- 2 (28- ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 to 3 cups chopped kale
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (Optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until softened
- Add garlic and sauté
- Add farro and stir
- Add broth, butternut squash, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with spoon,
- Reduce heat and partially cover pot with lid. Let soup simmer until squash has softened and farro is cooked. (30 minutes)
- Stir in kale and let simmer for 2 minutes
- Chat with me xx