Living in sunny San Diego, Mexican food is apart of our culture.
On every street, you will find a good ole’ taco place. However, it is super hard staying healthy without wanting to dive right into those restaurants, with that smell lingering the streets.
I wanted to create a healthier version of a taco in order to fulfill my cravings and still be apart of the San Diego culture.
I love making this recipe, especially when we have people over! Everyone loves it!
Check it out below.
- 1 Package of organic chicken thigh
- 2-4 cans of salsa verde (Make sure the chicken is fully submersed in salsa)
- 1 large organic sweet potato
- 1 large organic red bell pepper
- Romaine lettuce head
- 1 Tomato
- Fage 0% fat plain greek yogurt (optional)
- Hot Sauce (I love the Fody hot sauce)
There are two different ways to make this recipe: Crock pot & on in a pan on the stove top.
- Place chicken and salsa verde in crockpot on low
- Cut sweet potato and red bell pepper into bite size pieces and mix into the crock pot
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once the chicken is tender, use two forks and shred the chicken
- Create taco shells out of romaine lettuce head and add taco mix to the shells
- Top with chopped tomatoes, a dollop of fage yogurt (it will taste like sour cream) and hot sauce
- Place chicken and salsa verde in a large pot on medium-high. Cover and let boil for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, chop sweet potato and red bell pepper. Throw veggies into the pot after chicken has been cooking for 20-25 minutes.
- Use two forks to shred chicken and let boil together for 15 minutes.
- Build your tacos!
Let me know what recipe you would like to see next!
Another recipe you might like: Low Carb Spaghetti
- Chat with me xx