Paleo stuffed butternut squash: the best holiday side dish ever.
I love this recipe so much because you can either work it into your holiday dinner as a stuffing or a veggie dish.
Either way it’s not only aesthetic AF, but it’s also so flavorful. So it’s a win, win!
Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 1 TBSP garlic oil
- 2 pounds of mild Italian sausage
- 2 small-medium sized butternut squash, sliced in half lengthwise and deseeded
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large pomegranate, deseeded (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup of primal kitchen mayo
- 2 lemons
- 1 TBSP of freshly chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375F. Add garlic oil to large frying pan, grease pan and then add sausage. Break up the sausage with spoon and let cook thoroughly for about 10 minutes. (Until sausage is brown and a little crispy!)
- Place the cut butternut squash cut-side up in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with sea salt. Once sausage is cooked, then place is over the butternut squash, tint the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 375F for one hour. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Test squash with a fork…can it slide all the way through the thickest part of the squash? If so, it’s time to take it out of the oven.
- Sprinkle the top with pomegranate seeds and thyme
- Optional – Sauce: Mix mayo, lemons and rosemary all together
- Glaze dish with sauce, garnish with rosemary and serve!